2017 Triathlon / Duathlon
Saturday, July 8, 2017
Wheeling Jesuit University
The Sixteenth Annual Faith in Action Caregivers Triathlon / Duathlon will be held on Saturday, July 8, 2017 at Wheeling Jesuit University.
Athletes will be competing as individuals in gender, age and weight categories. Individual male and female clergy will compete in special categories. There are many opportunities for relay teams to compete in categories such as Faith Communities, High Schools, Colleges, Combined Ages Under 100, Combined Ages 101-150, Combined Ages 151 to 200, Combined Ages 200 and over, Businesses, Families, Civic/Service Clubs and Clergy.
All athletes must pre-register for the event. Race registration forms will be available in February, 2017. All registrations must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 30, 2017. There will be no race day registration.
COURSE CHANGE POLICY -- Faith in Action Caregivers, Inc. reserves the right to change the course of the race prior to the start of the race due to unexpected weather conditions, traffic control problems or other situations that may affect the safety of participants, spectators and volunteers. Any changes will be announced at the pre-race meeting at 7:15 a.m. on race day.
REFUND POLICY -- Athletes may request a refund of paid registration fees prior to the start of the race with documentation of any injury, illness or family situation that prevents participation in the race. Athletes may request that fees paid be held and transferred to next year's race if they are unable to participate in the event. If an event is not held the following year, the registration fee will be refunded.
Athletes may choose to transfer paid registration fees to another athlete prior to the close of registration for the event. Fees may not be transferred to another athlete after the close of registration, but refunds may be requested according to the policy. The organization will not refund transaction fees paid with online registration.
- The Faith in Action Triathlon / Duathlon is a USAT Sanctioned Race.
- Check-in and pool warm up will be from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. There will be no check-in after 7:00 a.m.
- All participants must sign the USAT waiver at the time of check-in unless verification of membership in USAT is provided. To read the waiver prior to race day, visit www.usatriathlon.org or contact Faith in Action Caregivers at 304-243-5420.
- All athletes must present a photo ID at the time of check-in. Athletes under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with a photo ID.
- A mandatory pre-race meeting for all athletes begins at 7:15 a.m.
- Helmets are required on the bike course.
- Refreshments are available throughout the race for all participants, spectators and volunteers.
- Only participants are permitted in the Transition Area and the Pool Area. Children participating in the race may have one parent or legal guardian accompany them in the Transition Area or in the Pool Area. Spectators will be able to watch the swim event from the McDonough Center Lobby or from the balcony.
- Professional chip timing services will be provided by PA Runners.
- No headphones, cell phones or other electronic devices can be used during any part of the race.
- No drafting is permitted on the bike course.
- No running is permitted in the Pool or the Transition Area.
TRIATHLON ONLY -- The race begins at 7:30 a.m. with the first wave of the swim event in the indoor pool at the McDonough Center. Wet suits are permitted in the pool. Waves begin every 12 minutes with the slowest estimated overall time in the first wave. WAVE ASSIGNMENTS CAN NOT BE CHANGED ON RACE DAY. Estimated wave start times will be posted in the McDonough Center on Friday, July 7.
DUATHLON ONLY -- The race begins at 7:45 a.m. with a group start outside the Transition Area.
BOTH RACES -- The age group of a participant will be determined by the age on December 31 of the race year and not by age on race day.
Athletes who are not members of USAT must pay a $15 fee to cover one-day membership. This is built into the registration fee. Please note that this is membership for the day of the race only.
Register 10 or more members from one faith community, club, business, family or other organizational group at the same time and receive a $5 per person (or $10 per team) discount when registrations are submitted together. Group registrations can be for either the triathlon or duathlon or a combination and apply to either individual registrations, relay teams or a combination.
TEAM COMPETITION -- One team member completes each leg of the race. Relay teams can consist of two or three individuals. A registration must be received for each member of the team.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED ON RACE DAY -- Volunteers are needed on the day of the race to help with traffic control and other duties. All volunteers must be at least 18 years old and complete a volunteer registration form which will be available in February, 2016.
If you would like to recruit friends and family to volunteer as a team on race day, you can be a Race Day Team Captain. Team Captains are responsible for recruitment, training and supervision of volunteers on their team.
Volunteers are available throughout the race to provide support and instruction to athletes. Athletes will recognize volunteers as those wearing bright green t-shirts. Traffic control for the race is provided by volunteers in cooperation with the Wheeling Police Department, the Wheeling Fire Department, the Ohio County Sheriff's Office and the Triadelphia Volunteer Fire Department.
BECOME A RACE SPONSOR -- The Faith in Action Caregivers Triathlon/Duathlon is sponsored by individuals and businesses in the community who support the independent living of older adults and people with disabilities. If you would like to be a race sponsor, contact Faith in Action Caregivers for details.